Monday, June 27, 2011

All Eyes on the Prize

I don't know if you've ever participated in any kind of organized race event or not. I myself have done three 5ks, and I am about to embark on another this Saturday. My favorite moment in the race is when I come around the last turn to see the finish line on the horizon and hear the people cheering on the competitors. That is why I run the race. To get to the finish line. None of my races have been pretty. By the time I get to the finish, I'm usually so beat up that it takes every last energy reserve I have to sprint to the finish line. There are moments during the race when I want to quit. When I want to just go jump in some random person's pool to cool off. When the going gets tough, I want to quit. I start to doubt my abilities. I become like Peter...


Peter is like many people. He starts off on the right foot (no pun intended) and begins to walk on water. He begins to do the unthinkable. People start punching each other and say, "Look at what Peter is doing?? Can you believe that??" Peter is super-human. Until the wind comes.

"But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” 
-Matthew 14:30

Peter took his eyes off the "prize." His fear took over him. He became what so many people become. Afraid of their success.

Even though Peter's story ends in failure, there are three things we can take from this story:
  1. Vision-Peter saw Jesus out on the water. He knew where he was going. He was walking out towards Jesus, just like in a race you run towards the finish line. In life, you go towards your next goal. 
  2. Desire-Peter had to desire to go out on the water. He didn't randomly say, "Hey, I'm going to walk on water right now." He wanted to go out to meet with Jesus. He desired Jesus. In a race, you desire to get to the finish line. Especially in 95 degree heat. This desire fuels your motivation. 
  3. Action-Peter took action to go to his desire. You can have desire all day long, but if you don't take action then it does you no good. You may desire to be an engineer, but if you don't study or go to school then you're desire is pointless.

Anything can be accomplished with vision, desire, and action. You might even become the person that people look at in wonder and say "Look at Joe...I can't believe he's doing that!" "Cindy has wanted to become an author for so long, and now she is published! I can't believe it!" Fill in the blank.

Don't feel the wind. Don't take your eyes of the prize. But, remember...even if you do, Jesus is there to catch you. Just like He did with Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment