Friday, July 1, 2011

Take Off the Blinders

I'm going to be brutally honest with myself here. I have been in a "funk." Things have not been clicking the way I like them to. It takes a little bit more effort to get a smile out of me. I've been too preoccupied with what I am not accomplishing that I have not seen outside my failure. My blinders are on.


I know what the problem is: I can't fix it. I have absolutely no control over what is happening right now. And it is driving me absolutely crazy. I've exhausted myself with trying to fix it. It's not working. You'd thinking I would have given up trying to make it work, right? Well, you see, I'm kind of...stubborn. (My husband and family would like to debate the "kind of" piece of that statement!) Once I have a goal in mind, it is hard for me to not achieve it. This has proven to be a positive thing for most of my life. But, there comes a time when I need to take a step back and acknowledge that at this particular moment...I can do NOTHING about it.

Sooooo...what should I do? Well, I'm going to focus on the present. This weekend is going to be awesome. Because I'm taking a break from freaking out. I'm doing a 5K, then my awesome little sister's birthday party. Some tennis with the hubby. A fireworks/grill out with my in-laws, who are a lot of fun. And a movie on Monday. I want to be fully focused on what I have going on around me this weekend. I don't want to be apprehensive about what might or might not happen. I want to be with the ones that I love. I want to take off the blinders...

1 comment:

  1. Hugs, sweet Tessa! :) Take this from a fellow control freak that has been around the block. Just TRUST that what God has planned is 10,000 times more awesome than what you have planned. Works out that way for me every time. Let go, and have an relaxed fourth! Post your 5 K time! I started running again too. Not nearly as fast as I was 8 years ago, but I am out there! ;) Maybe I will see you at a 5K one day.

    - Jodi

    ReplyDelete