Tuesday, July 19, 2011

More

"I wish I had a big house like _________. I wish I had a new car like ___________. I wish I had a great job like __________."

Ahhhh, a glimpse into my head. Seriously. I am the world's worst at comparing myself to others. Maybe it's because I have a touch of perfectionism and wish to have the perfect...everything. I always find something else that I want to have because someone else has it. It's an endless cycle. There is no satisfaction in it.

We are so blessed here in the United States to have the consumerism and technology that we do. But, sometimes it prevents us from being satisfied with what we have. We always want more. I know that having stuff is not bad, but loving our stuff can be detrimental to our relationship with God. Letting our material things rule our life is bad. Just plain old bad. It takes our attention away from Him and our loved ones. I can't tell you how many nights I have "listened" while hubby tells me a story from work...all the while I'm browsing on my phone. Not very good communication skills on my part. I'm trying to change that (ok, I admit...the Verizon crackdown on data rates might have been a catalyst).

So...just try one thing this week to reduce your connection to your stuff. It might just make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment