Friday, July 15, 2011

Taking a Page from George Bailey's Book

One of my favorite Christmas movies is "It's a Wonderful Life." It was a yearly tradition at my house to watch it whenever it would come on NBC at the first of December. Needless to say, I found it rather shocking when I got married and found out my husband had never even HEARD of it. (I made him watch it last year and he fell asleep...kids these days) I think the reason it is so enjoyable to me is because it makes me feel good. (This is also why I liked "Larry Crowne" but that's a different story for a different day) One of my favorite scenes is when George Bailey tells his guardian angel that he wishes he'd never been born. The angel (Clarence) grants him an opportunity that most people never have. He gets to see what his life would be like if he'd never been born.


I have always been fascinated with this scene. You see, it's not anything big that George did...it was the little things that made a difference. It was when he grabbed his brother out of the frozen lake. It was when he befriended Mary and eventually went on to marry her. It was when he switched the pills back at the drug store because his boss was old and couldn't read the correct labels. All of these things made a difference. And when George saw that he'd never been born...his brother didn't survive the drowning...Mary became an old maid...his boss was fired for killing somebody.

The little things make a difference. So whenever you feel like you're just going through the motions, not changing a thing in this world...take a page from George Bailey's book and remember all the small things you do that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment