Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Lessons from a Legend, Part 1

This is the first part of the "Lessons from a Legend" series. Tune in tomorrow for part two.


The moment has arrived for me to reveal the subject of this week's series. And, honestly, this took me (and the rest of the world) by surprise. I'm going to focus the posts this week on the one and only Coach Pat Summitt. Most of you are aware that yesterday, she announced to the world that she has early onset dementia.

I have watched Coach Summitt from the time I was able to watch TV. Anybody who knows me knows that I am a Lady Vol (and Summitt) fanatic. Now, I want you to understand one thing:

These posts are not about converting people to cheer for her or the team. These are simply observations and lessons that I have noted throughout my life of following her.

Ok, I just had to make that clear. Today's lesson is entitled, "How to Be Great."

Coach Summitt is the embodiment of great. 8 national championships. More wins than any other college basketball coach...MEN OR WOMEN.

In other words....great.

Summitt holds her players to high standards. They are required to sit within the first 2 rows of chairs in their respective academic classes. After a tough loss, they run something called "The Hill." (it's not called the hill because it's this incredibly flat stretch of land if you know what I mean) During one season, the team was even kept out of their own locker room. She felt they weren't performing to the standards, so they couldn't use their home locker room. High standards.

Summitt and her players always, always make goals. Before a season. Before a game. Before a practice. And the cool part is: she offers rewards and punishments (well that's not so cool...see the hill in previous paragraph) to help her players achieve these goals. Read this quote of hers for advice on setting goals: "Set a goal that stretches you, requires exceptional effort, but one that you can reach" (Success Magazine, 2009).

One of my lifetime goals has always been to learn from Pat Summitt...either as a player or as a coach. When I gave up basketball in high school, that first part became impossible. The coaching part is still possible, just very, very unlikely. What I didn't realize is that I've actually been learning from her all along...

No comments:

Post a Comment