Monday, August 15, 2011

The Loss of Identity

There's an episode of Spongebob Squarepants (stick with me...there is a point to be made) where he loses his work badge that had his name on it. He freaks out (of course) because he thinks he lost his identity. Now, we as educated, sophisticated human beings know that simply losing a name tag does not mean that you lose your whole identity.

For us, it takes something much more catastrophic or climactic.



We ask ourselves: Who am I? What is my role in this world? What is my identity?

Today I am asking myself these questions. Why you might ask? Well, because I feel a little lost today. Everybody headed back to school...except me (by everybody, I mainly mean my mom and sister).

I'm not a student.

I'm not a teacher.

Who. Am. I.

This is a difficult question to wrestle with at the moment because it's not that I don't want to be either of those things. As far as being a student goes, we can't afford for me to go to grad school right now. (Plus I want classroom experience before I try for a principal position...kind of makes sense, right?!) And I'm not teacher because I don't have a stinking job.

So maybe my new identity is one of unknowing, which is very uncomfortable for me. This does not follow the plan I had set for myself all along. Point taken...it's not about MY plans after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment