Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Not if, but when


I’m a huge baseball fan. I’ve grown up playing it in the backyard with my brother and sister (mostly my brother). My mom likes to tell the story of how my dad sat me up when I was like 10 months old to watch the first ever night game at Wrigley Field. I bet that I have spent about 50% of my waking hours watching and keeping track of the Atlanta Braves. I love pulling for my team.

And right now, there’s a player for the Braves (Dan Uggla) who has a 31 game hitting streak. For those of you who are not baseball aficionados, this is an extremely long time. To play in 31 games and get at least one hit in each of those is very rare. He has the longest streak this season. One question that people are asking about this streak is:

When is it going to end?

Not if. Because there is no way Uggla can continue to get one hit in the remaining 50 something games. It. Is. Impossible. Thus, the question becomes about when it will end.

In life, there are many circumstances that can be answered by with an “if.”

If I get a job…

If we can have a baby…

If I go back to school…

I want to challenge you to change those “ifs” to “whens.” It can make all the difference in the world when you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment